The University Student Union, Inc. (USU) at Cal State University, Northridge is a student centered non-profit organization that works to expand the college experience through various programs, employment, and involvement opportunities.
The USU first opened its doors on July 5, 1975 and is located on East University Drive. The Satellite Student Union (SSU) is located in the northern section of campus, adjacent to student housing. Each facility was designed to enhance the total university experience through volunteer and job opportunities, events, and various services such as food, study areas, computer labs, and TV lounges.
The USU is committed to providing inclusion, diversity, and personal growth to students as well as food, study areas, computer labs, TV lounges, events, and entertainment.
Completed in fall 2006, the USU underwent a $15 million renovation that included the new Sol Center and various upgrades throughout the facilities. In spring 2012, the USU opened the 138,000 square foot Student Recreation Center facility for exercise and leisure activity that promotes lifelong health and wellness.
The mission of the University Student Union is to foster the achievement of students’ educational goals by facilitating a strong connection between students and their campus community.
We are an engaging and energetic campus program that develops students through inclusive activities, meaningful employment opportunities, leadership experiences and innovative technologies, facilities, and services.
Effective and Efficient Student-Centered Programs and Services
- Support the design and development of the Recreation Center Project in order to increase student life on campus and develop a facility that promotes wellness.
- Provide and continually review student union programs, services, and retail offerings in order to meet the needs of the student campus community and identify potential changes and enhancements.
- Continue to develop efficient and energy-conscious facilities that save resources by utilizing sustainable techniques, products, and equipment.
Student Engagement and Success
- Increase attendance and improve the quality and satisfaction of late-night programs in the USU and SSU in order to enhance students' connection to the institution.
- Develop and provide diverse events at the SSU in order to enhance student life.
- Continue to refine the USU's student employee program in order to be a premier employer of students on campus and increase students' leadership abilities, job skills, and work management capacities that will assist them post graduation.
- Develop a strategic plan for USU/recreation center finances that will ensure fiscal viability of the USU.
Staff Development and Well-being
- Develop a staff orientation program.
- Create a management training program for USU staff, student supervisors, and potential managers.
- Refine and upgrade the USU Web site to include additional transactional elements and maximize technological opportunities while complying with ADA regulations and increasing its overall user friendliness.